Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Olivia Goes In On Drake Over "Control" Track "Wow, Is He Trying To Hate Right Now? I Thought That Was Corny"

A Mixtape Daily Exclusive

Olivia said that if a song goes on a mixtape, it should be no holds barred. The former G-Unit artist said she was shocked that Drake released a statement to the press denouncing a song she has on her new Under the Radar tape called "Control." The record features a verse by Drake he recorded some time ago.



"I support artist collaborations and sampling music that inspires you, but I don't support taking unauthorized recordings and marketing them as features," Drake said in the statement last month. "I've never worked with Olivia, and I apologize to any fan who was duped into thinking that 'Control' was a collaboration of mine."

Liv was livid at the statement.

"I think that was corny, because it's a mixtape," she said last week while visiting MTV's offices. "[Drake] started off doing mixtapes. Are you serious? You really serious right now? I was like, 'Wow.' The producer sent it to me, everything was done. I'm thinking [Drake's] part was signed off on. The producers sent it to us saying, 'It's done. Can you do the record?' I'm like, 'Sure.' I was recording with Sean Kingston then, so it took us awhile to get back to them. Finally sent it back to them. ... Soon as we sent it back, we heard [the song] was out. So when I heard everything going on, I was like, 'Is he trying to hate right now?' I'm confused. I thought that was what mixtapes were for. First of all, we heard you got paid for it. It was cleared. So I'm like, 'Wow. That's how we doing right now?' But I'm good, 'cause you gave me more publicity. Thank you! Shout-out to Drizzy!"

Under the Radar features the controversial Drake record, plus other guests, including Maino, Serani, Webstar and 50 Cent.

"I wanted to put out new material for all my fans," O said. "They hit me every day on my Internet pages and say, 'What's up with all the new material? We want to hear some new stuff!'

"I got real supporters," she added. "That's what I have to say. "It's a blessing. Sometimes I feel a little discouraged because of the way stuff went down with the Unit. I don't regret anything, because I loved being there. But I wanted to be a solo artist. I wasn't treated as a solo artist; I was treated as part of the group."

No comments: